Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Volunteering

The programs I volunteer for started back up this week after a holiday break.  Although I have come home at night a bit more exhausted, I really missed working with people again.  The childcare program (Home of the Innocents) had it's most hectic week yet with more young kids than I have seen there before.  Some of them seemed to be fighting a bit of a cold too as everyone was a bit crankier than normal.  I am really going to miss the kids as well as some of the parents.  Many of them really are good people trying to make the best of the situation they are in.  As for the ESL tutoring, this is the first week I have been without John.  Having a second volunteer really made a difference with helping everyone who needed help.  I can't imagine how hard it would be for a teacher in such a large class without a volunteer.  Next week is going to be nice because I will be able to be in the ESL class on Mon. and Wed. rather than just one time a week.  It is nice getting to know the individual students well enough to know their level and needs.  As I work with everyone I imagine how we will feel in their situation.  It's a little scary not being able to communicate the basic things, let alone being able to have the deeper conversations people have with friends.  I really need to study harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment